Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The inevitable question

How many times have you been out and about while experiencing a break out? I know sometimes you can dread leaving the house to run errands or go to a social gathering (especially when you'll be meeting some new people). As I explained in the previous post, my son has psoriasis on nearly every part of his body. The most noticeable area being his face. On a daily basis I find myself responding to the never ending statement, "Wow, you really got sunburned!" My son has learned to politely respond by saying, "no, I have psoriasis". Fortunately for me, he has more patience for these comments than I do sometimes. Usually I try to calmly explain that he has psoriasis. However there are days when I feel like screaming, "KEEP YOUR IGNORANT COMMENT TO YOURSELF!!!".

Feeling overwhelmed at times is completely normal when learning to live with psoriasis. Some people can be really nice and even though they can clearly see that the skin of a person is not "normal", they keep to themselves and treat the person or child just like any other person. These are the people I truly admire and deeply respect.

On the other hand you have people that make these kinds of comments, which make you want to respond with a rude comment back. We need to remember that the people who make these rude comments and assumptions, really don't know any better. I like to call it ignorance. The only way to get rid of the ignorance is by educating others.

So the next time someone makes a comment or asks about your "sunburn", please try to remain calm and educate the person. The more people that are aware of this condition, the better informed people can be and possibly someday even find a cure.

Until next time, stay positive. Everyone is beautiful in their own unique way! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment